Academic Dean (12 month)
The position is responsible for overseeing the planning, delivery, assessment, and ongoing improvement of curriculum and directs appropriate professional development opportunities for faculty and administrators.
The Academic Dean supports the goals and activities of Marburn Academy, and s/he reports directly to the Associate Head of School.
- Oversee the curriculum and to suggest recommendations for improvements.
- Assist teachers in matching appropriate assessment instruments to curriculum objectives.
- Assure uniformity in assessment, parent reporting, and academic standards.
- Lead department chairs.
- Assist departments to develop standards appropriate for the school.
- Review all proposed changes to the curriculum and provide timely updates.
- Chair curriculum committee meetings.
- Suggest methods for integrating instruction, cross-grade units, etc.
- Assist faculty in developing a uniform, detailed curriculum.
- Coordinate regular textbook and/or curriculum material reviews with department chairs on a regularly scheduled basis.
- Make recommendations to administration regarding problems or concerns relating to curriculum.
- Network with curriculum directors at other independent schools.
- Establish and maintain curriculum resource room for staff.
- Review the level of homework and student projects.
- Review academic balance throughout.
- Oversee school-wide the assessment program and testing assessment days.
- Oversee the professional development program for all faculty.
- Conduct regular workshops each year for faculty to keep faculty informed of current trends/research in curriculum and instruction.
- Serve as a resource for faculty, recommending workshops, speakers, programs, school observations, etc.
- Serve as the head of the professional development committee and coordinating professional development activities for Friday professional development sessions.
- Oversee training and support for student grades, assessments and IRPS.
- Directly supervise the language remediation supervisor and Specials Division faculty
- Member of the SLT, Academic Team, One School Team
- Represent the school at various functions both internally and externally relative to the role of being the school’s Academic Dean
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Head of School and/or the Associate Head of School
- Support the school and its leadership
Skills and Knowledge
- An understanding of and commitment to Marburn’s mission.
- An understanding of Marburn’s customer service orientation and a positive attitude.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- Strong public presentation skills using digital tools.
- An ability to interact comfortably with individuals of diverse social, economic, and ethnic backgrounds.
- An ability to initiate tasks and see them to completion.
- An ability to assess and solve problems.
- Bachelor’s degree; Master’s degree in curriculum design preferred.
- 5 years teaching experience, preferably working with students with learning differences and within independent schools.
- Successful track record of collaboration, curriculum assessment and design across grades.
- Focus on the whole child, including social and emotional development.
- Detail oriented and high level of integrity and work ethic.
- Strong understanding and practice of educational technology.
- Ability to stand, walk, and be in front of the students for extended periods of time
- Ability to lift and carry:
- Regularly up to 10lbs
- Frequently up to 11lbs-25lbs
- Occasionally over 30lbs
- Ability to balance multiple tasks and duties
- Ability to work with multiple distractions
- Monday-Friday 7:40am-4:30pm with the faculty member expected to be available before 7:40am and after 4:30pm for meetings with parents, teachers, or administrators.
- Occasionally, the faculty member will be required to participate in certain activities such as field trips, afternoon or evening events, and overnight or weekend programs that will occur outside of the regular daily hours mentioned above (e.g., Conferences, Seminars, Voyageurs Trips, Middle Division DC Trip, Curriculum Night, Parent Conferences, Graduation, Discovery Nights, etc.).
Marburn Academy provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Qualified candidates may submit their cover letter and resume to email@example.com