Development and Alumni Relations Specialist
Marburn Academy, the only independent school entirely dedicated to serving children with learning differences in the Greater Columbus area, is currently seeking a Development and Alumni Relations Specialist. The Development and Alumni Relations Specialist will support the fundraising efforts for our Annual Fund and Annual Gala, in addition to our alumni association and donor appreciation events. Extensive knowledge and experience in developing and facilitating partnerships with individual donors and planning successful fundraising and alumni events a must.
We invite qualified candidates to consider becoming part of our community by submitting a cover letter, resume, and application to Mr. Jamie Williamson, Head of School, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail at 1860 Walden Dr., Columbus, Ohio, 43229.
The Development and Alumni Relations Specialist will report to the Director of Institutional Advancement. Responsibilities include the following:
- Support the development of forward-thinking strategic development programs to grow the Annual Fund and Annual Gala
- Support all aspects of the development program, including fundraising, leading the annual giving program and creating a strong alumni association, and planning special development events.
- Collaborate with the Director of Institutional Advancement, Admission office and the Director of Marketing and Communications on PR initiatives to create/produce fund raising-related communication materials to expand and enhance the school’s visibility and reputation.
- Identify corporate and foundation funding opportunities and help draft grant applications.
- Strengthen relationships with the school’s alumni and further develop alumni programming.
- Enhance existing relationships while building new relationships, systems, and programs that acknowledge current donors and further tap into the generosity and resources of the community.
- Maintain a database of all contributors and provide development reports as required.
- Coordinate the school’s volunteerism efforts.
- Nurture and maintain a highly collaborative relationship with the Head of School and the Director of Institutional Advancement in order to support them all their fundraising responsibilities, and accompanying them on donor visits when appropriate.
- Research and generate ideas to increase charitable giving at the school, strengthen alumni relations, and solicit donors for charitable gifts and the annual fund.
- Establish and build relationships with alumni locally, regionally, nationally, and internationally.
- Develop a wide variety of ways to communicate with all alumni, including via social media.
- Plan, organize, and implement receptions, reunions, special educational programs, and other alumni events both at the school and throughout the country.
- Create meaningful avenues for alumni participation in the life of the school.
- Research and profile the backgrounds of all alumni.
- Identify, select, and train alumni to assist the admissions office network for prospective families and students.
- Function as the liaison between the alumni and the school.
- Oversee the maintenance of the school-wide database and gift records for parents, grandparents, and professionals within the community.
- Support the school and its leadership.
Skills and Knowledge (in order of importance)
- Understanding of and commitment to Marburn’s mission
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- A self starter who initiates tasks and sees them to completion
- Ability to interact comfortably with individuals of diverse social, economic and ethnic backgrounds
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software, including PowerPoint, Excel and Word
- Proficient in web research
- A customer service orientation and positive attitude
- Ability to assess and solve problems
- An understanding of the philanthropic process
- Familiarity with donor and prospect management software
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Excellent oral communication and writing skills.
- Ability to build partnerships on and off campus, as well as to work on tight deadlines.
- Knowledge of federal, state, local, and private funding sources.
- Experience in developing and facilitating partnerships with community agencies and individual donors.