Development Officer – Full Time (12 Month)
Summary and Scope of Role
The Development Officer is responsible for facilitating, building, and maintaining external relationships with both corporate and community donors and partners. The Development Officer works closely in collaboration with the Chief Advancement Officer, and the Director of Development to advance Marburn’s mission and reach both in the community and region. The Development Officer is responsible for executing against our guiding strategy and managing of Marburn’s corporate fundraising efforts and major donor cultivation. This includes leading our major gifts campaign, planned giving strategies, and cultivating all current and potential major donors within greater Columbus region. The focus of this role is primarily external facing within the region to identify and develop potential donors and strategic partnerships, and in addition to stewarding current corporate/major donors. The Development Officer serves on the Institutional Advancement Team. The Development Officer reports directly to the Director of Development.
School Culture and School Operations
- Understanding of and a commitment to Marburn Academy’s Vision and Mission
- Conduct self in presence of students, parents, donors and visitors in manner which models the Core Values and behaviors Marburn seeks to teach
- Consistently and effectively use the conflict resolution guidelines
- Develop and sustain relationships with colleagues, parents, and members of the Marburn Academy community that are professional, collegial, and collaborative
- Manage confidentiality aspect of student, parent, and colleague relationships, and of internal Marburn affairs according to established school guidelines
- Establish and maintain appropriate personal “boundaries” in relationships with students, parents, and colleagues
- Attend and participate in professional development opportunities
- Abide by all policies articulated in the Student and Employee Handbook and other school and board policies
- Represent and support the school at various functions both internally and externally relative to the role
- Effectively perform other duties assigned by the Head of School, Associate Head of School, and/or member of Leadership Team
- Support the school and its leadership
- Serve on school-wide and standing committees as needed
Development and Fundraising
- Identify, cultivate, and steward major donors, and develop strategies to expand the current base of philanthropic revenue sources for the school.
- Collaborate with other teams throughout the organization to ensure success of fundraising efforts.
- Work with the chair of the Advancement committee to set fundraising agendas, provide data, and coordinate fundraising efforts in tandem with the CAO and the Director of Development.
- In collaboration with the Director of Development, act as primary point person for the annual Gala fundraiser: lead committee meetings, oversee faculty, staff and parent volunteer involvement, oversee auction solicitation and sponsorship fulfillment;
- Develop and write foundation proposals and budgets, lead monthly internal grants meeting, oversee compliance and reporting;
- Oversee volunteer/associate engagement strategies with corporate partners;
- Responsible for writing and entering donor contact reports, with a disciplined and methodical approach in maintaining complete and accurate donor records
Qualifications and Skills
- Alignment with Marburn’s mission and core values.
- A bachelor’s degree is required. An advanced degree is preferred.
- Proven experience in development and fundraising, preferably at a non-profit institution with an educational component. Individuals with a sales background may also be considered.
- Experience working with and connecting to a large and diverse community of people. Demonstrated strengths in interpersonal skills and collaboration.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to effectively use a variety of programs and software, including database programs.
- All employees of Marburn Academy must pass required criminal record checks and appropriate background checks, including proof of academic credentials.
- Ability to stand, traverse, and present for extended periods of time “two plus hours” or more
- Ability to visually detect, observe and recognize
- Verbally and audibly communicate and exchange information with ability to position oneself to do so
- Ability to participate in outdoor activities of the school as needed
- Ability to move, lift and position:
- Regularly up to 10lbs
- Frequently up to 11lbs-30lbs
- Occasionally over 30lbs
- Rarely up to 50lbs with assistance as required
- Monday-Friday: 7:30am-4:30pm
- Occasionally, the staff member will be required to participate in certain activities such as afternoon or evening events, and overnight or weekend programs that will occur outside of the regular daily hours mentioned above (e.g., Graduation, Curriculum Night, Gala, Marburn sponsored seminars, etc.)
Qualified candidates should forward their resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Marburn Academy provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.