Director of Human Resources
Director of Human Resources
Our Mission: At Marburn Academy, we celebrate students who learn differently, empowering them to awaken their potential, to achieve success in school and life, and to affect positive change in our communities.
The Director of Human Resources is responsible for executing and overseeing the administration of hiring, retention, termination, personnel records, legal compliance, compensation, benefit administration, management training, payroll system maintenance, staffing strategies, and monitoring and overseeing faculty and staff culture at Marburn.
This position is a key strategic partner, assisting the executive team in evaluating the direction of the school’s personnel, compensation practices, compliance with regulations, and culture. The Director of Human Resources must be an adept communicator with a strong knowledge of the employment lifecycle and employment law as well as payroll and benefits administration, preferably in a not-for-profit and/or education environment.
Employee Relations and Administration
- Provide leadership and supervision in the day-to-day operation of the Human Resource function. Implement all applicable personnel laws and regulations.
- Ensure compliance with federal and state statutes/laws including, but not limited to, FMLA, ADA, Sexual Harassment, OSHA, Worker’s Compensation, and ERISA.
- Coordinate performance management processes.
- Manage recruiting lifecycle, including posting job openings, coordinating candidate visits, conducting interviews and evaluations for all positions (faculty and staff) including off-site recruiting at job fairs, and conducting new hire orientations.
- Manage employee separation process for both voluntary and involuntary terminations.
- Develop/edit/update job descriptions for all employees. Complete periodic job description audits and classify employees’ exempt or nonexempt status as appropriate under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Assist in development and maintenance of faculty salary/compensation scale.
- Provide training for department heads and team leaders on various HR topics including interviewing skills, performance management and employee coaching.
- Provide training to all employees such as annual training on sexual and other forms of harassment, sexual abuse reporting, and other applicable topics.
- Maintain personnel files for each employee.
- Maintain and improve the Human Resource Management System (HRMS) to support the needs of the school’s management and employees.
- Provide training and support to management and employees using the HRMS.
- Maintain and update employee payroll records, including pay rates, withholdings, and vacation and sick days.
- Coordinate with newly hired employees to complete all necessary paperwork and background checks required for their position and lead the onboarding process.
- Manage and coordinate benefit programs (Health, Dental, Vision, Section 125, 403(b) Retirement Plan, STD, LTD, Life/AD&D and COBRA) for employees, including all employee communication, problem-solving, and claims resolution.
- Ensure all plans comply with applicable laws and statutes (HIPAA, ERISA and IRS guidelines).
- Prepare/edit Summary Plan Descriptions and other regulatory reporting as needed for plan changes and legal compliance.
- Manage annual open enrollment for benefit plans.
- Manage employee qualifying events or changes in coverage in all carrier sites and payroll system.
- Resolve discrepancies or errors on carrier billing invoices with benefits broker or the carriers directly.
- Compile and maintain an accurate list of all benefits offered or enrolled in, including dependents for ACA reporting purposes.
- Represent the school at various functions both internally and externally relative to the role of being the school’s Director of Human Resources.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Head of School or CFO.
- Support the school and its leadership.
Skills and Knowledge
- An understanding of and commitment to Marburn’s mission and values;
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills;
- An ability to interact comfortably with individuals of diverse social, economic, and ethnic backgrounds;
- An ability to accurately interpret procedures and regulations along with the ability to ensure appropriate implementation;
- An ability to manage several tasks at once;
- An ability to initiate tasks and see them to completion;
- An ability to assess and solve problems
Educational Background and Experience
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in HR or related field
- Minimum of five years of related experience, preferably in a not-for-profit environment
- All employees of Marburn Academy must pass required criminal record checks and appropriate background checks, including proof of academic credentials.
Qualified candidates should send their resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org