This position has primary responsibility to provide counseling services to the students of Marburn Academy. The School Psychologist supports the goals and activities of Marburn Academy, and s/he reports directly to the Associate Head of School.
- To serve as the primary counselor/mental health professional for students and parents.
- To serve as the primary school resource and advisor to faculty and administration for student mental health and behavioral issues.
- To provide training/teaching for students, teachers and parents for the school’s behavior management model (ripcord, self-awareness, etc.)
- To serve as self-awareness curriculum leader.
- To serve as the support person to student and families transitioning from Marburn Academy.
- To keep the Head of School and the Associate Head of School fully informed on student issues and all other relevant matters pertaining to school life.
- Interpersonal and group communication skills, demonstrating empathy, directness, and open-minded decision making
- Manage complex communication within the divisions, school, and community
- Work collaboratively and flexibly with colleagues, staff, parents, volunteers, and the broader community
- Represent the school at various functions both internally and externally relative to the role of faculty member
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Head of School and/or the Associate Head of School and/or Division Head
- Support the school and its leadership
- Ability to be in front of the students for long periods of time
- Ability to participate in outdoor activities
- Ability to lift and carry:
- Regularly up to 10lbs
- Frequently up to 11lbs-25lbs
- Occasionally over 30lbs
- Ability to balance multiple tasks and duties
- Ability to work with multiple distraction
- Monday-Thursday: 7:40am-3:30pm with the faculty member expected to be available, as needed, until 4:30pm for meetings with parents, teachers, or administrators.
- Fridays: 7:40am-4:30pm
- Occasionally, the faculty member will be required to participate in certain activities such as field trips, afternoon or evening events, and overnight or weekend programs that will occur outside of the regular daily hours mentioned above (e.g., Voyageurs Trips, Middle Division DC Trip, Curriculum Night, Parent Conferences, Graduation, Discovery Nights, etc.).
Skills and Knowledge
- Understanding of and commitment to Marburn’s mission
- Degree in and strong knowledge of school counseling services or like degree
- Excellent skills in oral and written communications
- Customer-oriented with great people skills
- Ability to work with and get along well with others
- Ability to balance multiple tasks and projects, and handle time deadlines
Marburn Academy provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.